UPDATE - BIKE HAS SOLD!
A friend of YamahaR5.com recently wrote in to let us know he is selling his R5. It's currently listed on craigslist and eBay classifieds. See below for a detailed listing:
1972 Yamaha R5C 350 (NewR5B paint-$900 IN NEW PARTS)
For sale is a very good condition 1972 Yamaha R5C 350 with a 1971 R5B Orange/White new paint job on tank.
All OEM except: handlebar, spokes, tires and mirrors + many new and NOS parts.
Oil injected, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke bike, non reed valve
Matching frame and engine VIN.
Clear NY transferable registration.
SUPER CLEAN, ENGINE RE-POWDERCOATED.
12855 original miles (May have a little more as I am riding it a few days a week)
$3000 - Cash only, local pick up in person
INCLUDES $900 IN NEW AND NOS PARTS
- Looks AMAZING, super clean engine, new paint job and shine.
- Had full-tune up by reputable mechanic (Speed Motorcycles in NYC - SEE BELOW NOTES)
- Starts with one or two kicks. Not an electric start bike.
- Engine is good order
- Gears work
- Brakes work
- Oil Injection works great
- All lights and switches are fully functional (except front brake lever stop light switch for brake light).
- Frame was repainted very clean no rust
- Gas tank is good order, no rust inside un-sealed
PREVIOUS OWNER RESTORATION AROUND 2009:
All OEM except air pods. Previous owner completed the following restoration work:
- New headlight
- Rebuilt Carburators
- New ignition switch
- Repainted frame
- Repainted tank and side panels with high quality auto paint (no rattle cans)
- Cylinder heads re-powder coated shiny black
(Original look can be achieved by removing the outer most coating on the fins. But the gloss black looks brand new and hot!) Always get complements on how clean the engine is.)
- New wheel spokes and nipples front and back
- Fixed oil pump
- New clutch and side cover YAMAHA logo decals
- New YAMAHA tank badges
- New chain
- New NGK spark plug connectors
PROFESSIONAL TUNE-UP AND MAINTENANCE DONE FALL 2010
By Speed Motorcycles in NYC - receipts available
- Clean points and check ignition timing
- Check charging system
- Clean carburetors
- Fix oil leak, new crank case gasket
- Install new shocks
- Install new throttle cable
- New battery
NEW or NOS PARTS INSTALLED FALL 2010: Most parts bought from 2-Stroke specialist store HVCCYCLE.COM
$600 VALUE - Copies of receipts available.
- New Yuasa 12V battery
- New Battlax B45 tires 90/90/18 and 110/90/18 purchased September 2010
- New European handlebar with bar snake
- New front brake lever
- Brand new reproduction Throttle cable from HVC Cycle ( hvccycle.com ) -
- New Crank Case Engine Gasket - resealed (NO LEAKS!)
- New drain plug seal (HVC Cycle reproduction)
- New left front foot peg rubber
- New chrome mirrors, reproductions
- NOS Red Wing high performance shocks from the '70s - never used before I bought
- NOS right front signal light flasher stay
- New brass swing arm bushing (HVC Cycle reproduction)
- New center stand rubber bumper
NOS MISCELLANEOUS PARTS ADDED TO SALE: OVER $300 VALUE
- NOS Steering fork lock with key (never used in package)
- NOS Front foot peg cover
- NOS front foot peg
- NOS left front flasher stay
- NOS Beston style Throttle grips
- NOS Front brake lever holder
- New Brake shoes
- Spare/new light bulbs for ALL lights, signals, headlight, displays
- New pet cock seal kit
- New Chain guard rubber damper (HVC Cycle reproduction in package)
- New Exhaust mount dampers (HVC Cycle reproduction in package)
- New oil tank level view glass (HVC Cycle reproduction in package)
- New Petcock Seals (HVC Cycle reproduction in package)
- New Allen head bolt set polished stainless steel (35 pieces for oil pump cover, right and left crankcase cover, clutch adjuster cover, generator cover, reed valve, exhaust)
- Gasket set: 8 pieces: Cynlinder head x 2, cylinder base x 2, valve seat x 2, exhaust pipe x 2
- 3 x 1 Liter bottles of MOTUL 710 2 STROKE High performance oil
- 2 x 1 Liter bottles of MOTUL TRANSOIL Gear box oil 10W30
- 3 sets of keys
- Original Combined Yamaha R5C, RD250, RD350 Service Manual published 1971
- Reproduction Yamaha Parts list catalog
BLEMISHES: Mostly cosmetic
- Some paint chips on headlight bracket
- Usual 40 year old chrome pitting and scuffs, not perfect, but overall chrome is very nice and shines up great, no major rust.
- Several dings on front and rear fenders, same way I got it. See pics.
- Right throttle grip has a small tear on bar end. I have new replacement with sale.
- Seat has small tear on right side and long tear on top across middle width. Sealed with pro Tear-Aid brand vinyl repair tape so it is sealed nicely. Unless you want to recover for restoration it works perfectly fine.
- Rear brake light switch attached to front brake lever not working. Foot pedal for brake light works fine.
- Left front foot peg slants down, I got it like this. Not a problem at all, just disclosing
- Could use new fork seals and front fork new springs to make like new.
Definitely check it out, and get in touch if you are interested... a deal like that won't last too long...